How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22809
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Permanent Visa

This answer was rated:

hi , i have been granted a resident visa after applying under skilled worker category. Start date for the visa is 2/nov/2011, my first entry was 23/oct/2012, visa expiry : indefinite. I have spent two weeks only and had to leave back to where i work (Oman)  because of some business issues. As far as i know in order to get Permanent Residency i  have to stay in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months .My question:  is there any way to get a permanent Residency Visa without staying 6 months of each year? My plan is to settle in Auckland as soon as i manage to sell my business here. It worth mentioning that on 1st of June 2012 i got married to NZ  citizen. My lawyer who assisted me during application process told me that being married to NZ citizen will help in extending my current visa for another 2 years and wont help in getting the permanent Visa.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : The policy on this is pretty firm, that you have to demonstrate a commitment to staying here. Once you have permanent residency this is not so important. So there is no short cut for this I am afraid.

So the only way is to spend the period to show commitment . Do i have chance to extend for another two years ?


Buying a house or small business can be considered commitment ?

christhelawyer : The important factor is the commitment in time here. So that is essential but you can ask for an extension
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related New Zealand Law Questions