How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22986
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I am international student. I came 1 year ago to New Zealand

Customer Question

Hi. I am international student. I came 1 year ago to New Zealand from Russia to study in Pacific International Hotel Management School in New Plymouth on Post Graduate course. Before coming I was informed that to get a diploma I needed to complete 1 year course in school and 6 month working in industry. In the end of the year of education the process of employment started and I had found a job in Huka Lodge in Taupo and signed a 6-month contract started on 20th of July. Today at the last day in school we hade a assessment in restaurant service and I was told that I failed it and i need to stay at school several months to repeat the course and pay again for this period of education...

It looks like a extortion because I didnt ever sign any agreement that I should pay any amount in case of failure of any tests and also the sistem of evaluation is absolutely not clear and moreover is absolutely subjective. We all make some mistakes but than lecturer decided by himself that this student passed and that student fail...

Because I found a job I already rent a house in other town, had agreement with the hotel, have changed the school for my 17 yo daughter and I simply have no funds to stay any more in school. And also there is no guarantee that I can pass this test in the future... The system is that they can keep me in school for unlimited time! And they use this practice all the time and brake peoples plans and life...

Can you give me any advice?
Thank you in advance
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : The standards for exams are ate by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. So you have 2 things you have to do. The first is to see if the School is prepared to look at your assessment again, if you think you did pass and the teacher got this wrong.
christhelawyer : if they refuse to look at this then I suggest you ask the NZQA to look at the standards used and whether you have been assessed according to the correct standards.
JACUSTOMER-50wwtgf6- :

How can I contact the NZQA?

JACUSTOMER-50wwtgf6- :

Can you recommend me the lawyer in Taupo who is specialized in immigration and education law?

JACUSTOMER-50wwtgf6- :

Thank you

christhelawyer : terry Kirkham at LePine and Co may be able to help on immigration issues. His phone is 07 378. 5030.
christhelawyer : The NZQA are at