How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22977
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a mature age student at the University of Waikato I am

This answer was rated:

I am a mature age student at the University of Waikato
I am reading for my PhD in sociology/ social policy.
Funding for mature graduate students has changed which means due to my age I will not be eligible for student allowances nor for my fees for my last year of study.
Unfortunately for me my PhD submission date is 31st march 2015.

Basically this means I will be able to complete my fourth year and hence my decision to consider withdrawing as i will not be able to complete.

My question is can I claim a refund for the costs of my course that due to policy change I am disadvantaged.
I have put in nearly ten years of study plus tens of thousands fees and costs as well as the loss of my potential income from my previous occupation (carpenter).
It out of my control therefore I am out of pocket and unable to graduate because of this law change.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : I wish I could give you a solution, but I have already looked into this for a student in a similar position. The rule changes are manifestly unfair, and you are certainly not the only post graduate student caught by this change. I suggest that the other student complain to the Ombudsman, and I suggest you also do the same, and perhaps as more complain this may help with a recommendation.
christhelawyer : Suing may be an option because you could say you have paid out substantial funds to get this far, but the changes now mean that money is wasted. So a claim in court for the fees may at least make a point that you would not have spent the money so far if you had known the rules would change.
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you