New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

My two daughters and I have had a family dispute. Unfortunately,

My two daughters and I...
My two daughters and I have had a family dispute. Unfortunately, I haven't seen my grandchildren aged 2, 3, 1.5 and 13 for 2 years, and any contact I have initiated has been ignored. The dispute has just been over everyday things and incorporates total stubborness. I pose no threat whatsoever to my grandies, but my girls appear to be using the kids to punish me. Do I have any rights at all as a Nana? Thank you
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2013
Chris The Lawyer

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : There are 2 ways to sort this out. The first would be to set up mediation with the daughters, where you could meet, with a family mediator, and try to resolve the issues, both over the arguments, and the contact with the grandchildren. This could take place in a safe and confidential place where you can all talk freely but try to reach a positive result.
christhelawyer : This would be fairly easy to organise, and you would not need lawyers and costs, except for the mediator, who often charge fairly modest fees.
christhelawyer : As a grandparent you can apply through the Family Court for permission to apply for contact. This is not as easy as parents, but can be done. The disadvantage is that going to court may really divide the family further, and make further contact very difficult, with no guarantee of success.
christhelawyer : This would also involve paying for a lawyer which could make this an expensive exercise.
Chris The Lawyer

Thank you very much. I didn't know about family Mediators, but I will certainly look into it. Many Thanks.

You can find family mediators here
http://www.aminz.org.nz/Person?Action=List&Confirm=PostBack&DataFilter_id=16&&DFF_39=303&DFF_41=[Any]
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer