How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22962
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a situation at work where a number of administration

Customer Question

I have a situation at work where a number of administration staff are being harassed, bullied and intimidated by their line manager. This has gone on for at least two years and in the last 18 months they have documented their encounters with the manager. One staff has formalised her complaint to HR, however three of the admin staff have banded together and want to go through whatever process is necessary to bring some resolution to this very unhappy situation. HR have tried to separate these three staff and interview them individually, our past experience shows that this is counterproductive to getting issues like this resolved.
What steps can these staff take now to get an unbiased hearing. One of them belongs to a union, but has been advised that the other two would need to get their own representation in the case of any hearing. If we allege "unsafe" working environment, they would be moved out of the shared office they are in, and this is not satisfactory to them.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : If HR are not dealing with this, then the affected staff need to have a united approach, over the head of HR and make a formal complaint. In this complaint you would raise a personal grievance as to the workplace bullying, and request that this be commenced with an investigation and then mediation through the Employment Relations Service.
christhelawyer : This should get their attention. But if they continue to fob you off, you should jointly approach the ERS mediators anyway.
christhelawyer : the mediation should resolve this, but they must deal with the bullying. This can also be a work and safety issue, but the ERS is well used to resolving these problems.