How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22809
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have an Employee who has worked for us since 1/6/2011.This

This answer was rated:

We have an Employee who has worked for us since 1/6/2011.This Employee has just discovered that their previous Employer of seven years did not pay any PAYE or Student loan deductions to the Inland Revenue Department.This Employee did not sign an Employment Contract or receive a payslip in the entire seven years. Our Employee is extremely worried that they will be liable for the monies that were not paid to Inland Revenue.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : It is the employer who is meant to deduct the PAYE and other deductions, and hold these on trust for the employee and pay the money to IRD. So the employer has (at least in theory) got the money and should pay this to IRD. Your employee can contact IRD and complain that his PAYE and student loans were not paid, and ask IRD to chase his employer.
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related New Zealand Law Questions