How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22809
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can the Inland Revenue Go into a family trust bank account

Customer Question

Can the Inland Revenue Go into a family trust bank account that is under two different names or even one name and take money out of that account for unpaid child support and or tax?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : Has there been a deduction notice first before this step was taken?
christhelawyer : Without such a notice this cannot be done.
christhelawyer : Sections 154 and 155 of the Child Support Act provide for deductions notices, and section 155(1)(a) does refer to money held on trust.
christhelawyer : it would depend on whether the family trust had the liable person as a beneficiary, and whether the money in the account was held to be paid to the beneficiary. Without this, then the deduction may not have been made properly.

Related New Zealand Law Questions