How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22977
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have accessed patients files without their consent and when

This answer was rated:

I have accessed patients files without their consent and when I did not have authority to do so in my duties at work. I accept that this is a breach of privacy. Can the district health board, who holds this data, name me as an individual, as the one who breached this privacy even though none of the information was passed on

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : If the information was only read by you without being passed on or discussed, then I see no need for you name to be passed on the person whose file you looked at.
christhelawyer : After all, while you have breached privacy, you have not permitted your own privacy to be breached in response, which would not be the correct way to deal with this.

It was a lawyer that stated that she wanted to name me. Can I tell her that I do not give permission for this or do I need to do this in writing. I have concerns that if my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be connections made to my other family members. How can I stop them naming me

christhelawyer : You need to tell her that you expressly forbid your details being made open, beyond the disciplinary hearing, and that it may impact other family members.
christhelawyer : Do this in writing and give a copy to the employer

many thanks



Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you