How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22977
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live overseas but have a small rural property in Otago with

This answer was rated:

I live overseas but have a small rural property in Otago with an unoccupied run-down house on it. Should I have any kind of liability insurance in case squatters or trespassers are injured on my property?

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : The Accident Compensation Act covers all people in New Zealand for personal injury by accident. There is now no way to bring a court case for this type of occupiers liability because the scheme prevents this. So if someone breaks in and falls onto a rusty nail or injures themselves you are not liable under New Zealand law, because the person can claim under the Act.
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you