How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23062
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Chris, looking for some advise please.We have recently

Customer Question

Hi Chris, looking for some advise please. We have recently asked a jeweler to re-make a ring for which they have taken the original ring and a $3000 deposit. We were ment to be shown the ring half way through the job to ensure we were happy with the way it was progressing. Unfortunately this was not the case as it has now been finished but not to the design or standard we would have expected. Can you advise the best course of action as we have lost total faith and want our money back and preferably the diamonds out of the original ring as well.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : In a claim like this the Consumer Guarantees Act applies. So if the jeweller has not delivered what was promised, then you can ask for the money and diamonds back. The acts says you can get your money back where the work has been not what you wanted and well below standard
JACUSTOMER-rzvdrbdp- :

What would be the best course of action if they refuse to refund and return the diamonds, bearing in mind that we would have also lost the gold

christhelawyer : It may depend on whether this is within the Disputes Tribunal which goes to a maximum of $ 15,000. If it is you can make a claim there, and will not need a lawyer.
christhelawyer : You claim will include all your losses
christhelawyer : he losses could include the gold as well.