New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

Hi, I have a question with regard to recording a conversation

Hi, I have a question...
I have a question with regard to recording a conversation for the purpose of self protection.
I have to discuss boundary issues with a neighbour on his property and wish to log the discussion with an audio recording.
Can the information I collect without his knowledge protect me if he were to make false claims or accusations?
5/6/2013
Chris The Lawyer

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : It is not illegal to make the recording, although the best approach is to tell him you are doing so. You do not have to tell him however.
christhelawyer : The reason I suggest it is better to tell him, is that some get angry when they realise you made the recording and this could make negotiation more difficult. He may also oppose use of the recording on the basis this was unfairly obtained, and while you can use a secret recording to challenge his credibility it is not always easy to use this to play the whole recording, if he objects.
Customer:

So to be clear - He could oppose the use of the recording, and any challenge to his credibility will be ignored.

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer