Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

if the father wins a paternity suit is the child support

Customer Question

if the father wins a 'paternity suit' is the child support payments that the father had been paying for that child, reimbursed??

and if so is by IRD or is it by the mother of the child?

Thank you
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : If you are ruled not the father then there is a process under the Child Support Act to get a refund.
christhelawyer : You would need to apply to Inland Revenue for the refund, and there is a standard process used
christhelawyer : from your question, I assume you have not yet challenged the paternity. The DNA testing usually makes this a yes or no answer.
christhelawyer : The refund comes from Inland Revenue if you are paying to them.