How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22896
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live alone in my own home. Have for various reasons had

This answer was rated:

I live alone in my own home. Have for various reasons had to move twice since my husbands death. I am in a good area with good neighbours who are always there if I need them. I was abke to purchase this home freehold due to my parents dying and leaving a bit of money and still have s little put away in case it was wanted. I will be 68 this year and have 6 grandchildren. 3 gown up and three younger ones 2 of which live in Melbourne. The other I take to swimming lessons once a week and have her on other occasions.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : If you need to borrow to pay for the home, would any of your children agree to guarantee the loan and help? This may help persuade the bank to lend what you need

My home is freehold but I have to pay normal living costs that is equal to a couple. eg rates water etc. This comes to approximately $200.00 per week and there are also incidentals. The amount that I get on super leaves me with $138.00 for any upkeep of the house and there is no money left for socializing

christhelawyer :

I have suggested on your other question, that you still try for a review although the passage of time may make this difficult. Perhaps the otrher r4emedy is to ask the Ombudsman as they investigate unfairness, and you certainly can argue that the failure to keep you advised of options is unfair.


who is and how do I get in touch with Ombudsman?

christhelawyer :

Look at this site

christhelawyer :

This should tell you about who the ombudsman is and how the office can help you

Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been told that I can't go for election as that is in the ACC act 2001 and apparenty I am under the 1998 insurance act and therefore can't go for that. Have been doing some huntin on that act but it is so involedthat I can't get my head around it. Because me and my late husband are 65. I am only to recieve super which I am going to find very hard to live on. Can you help with the 1998 act to see if there is anyghting that cna be done

Under the previous versions of the act, the payments also ended when the widow reached 65. So even if you had been aware of the change, now you are 65 you would only get superannuation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What gets me is that if he had not been killed in a work accident. He woud also be getting super and we could get along with that. Am I entitled to a widow's benefit or anything elsd

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What gets me is that if ny husband had not been killed in a work accident. He could also be getting super and we could we could get along with that. Under the super is there any other way they coud help. Could get a widows pension or something like that I'm going to get desperate soon. I just do not know what to do

You could qualify for a widows benefit and you may get housing allowances as well. Are you aware of what you can get from WINZ? Would you like some general advice about that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes please. I have to go out for an appointment now and will get back to you when I get home

From the WINZ website they have this information
Help with housing and living costs
You may be able to get help with housing or living costs such as:
essential house repairs
rent, board or mortgage payments
rates and rates rebates
overdue power account
buying household appliances and furniture.
If you're struggling to support yourself or your family, please contact us. We can often help.
Accommodation Supplement
Help with your rent, board or the cost of owning a home.
Living Alone Payment
An ongoing extra payment on top of your NZ Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension, when you maintain a household on your own. You may also get this payment in some situations, when you have a spouse or partner, or are not living on your own.
House Modification Funding
Funding for changes to your home because you or your child is disabled.
Community Services Card
A card that can help you and your family with the costs of health care. You'll pay less on some health services and prescriptions.

This is from the website and the location is this:
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related New Zealand Law Questions