New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

Hi, What happens if we have several viewings of rental properties

Customer Question
Hi, What happens if we have...
What happens if we have several viewings of rental properties on the same day, and we sign a rental aggreement at the second viewing, along with other people viewing, then the first one calls us up and says they are keen to have us sign up, so we sign up to the first one as well on the assumption that the second one may choose someone else? We would then have two aggreements signed up.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/3/2013
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 4 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : You should make the agreements apply as to the first signed in time. However the second agreement could cause you a problem as they could claim damages when you cannot deliver the property in terms of the agreement. What you must do is insert a clause which says that the contract is conditional on the agreement first in time going ahead.
christhelawyer : of course when any tenant signs they are also bound by the lease. So if the first tenant tried to back out you could claim against them for damages.
christhelawyer : The point is, that you cannot enter contracts, and then unilaterally withdraw. This applies to landlord and tenant.
JACUSTOMER-ll11xsam- :

Hi

christhelawyer : Can I help further?
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer