How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23063
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been seperated for one year . We were

Customer Question

My husband and I have been seperated for one year . We were legally married in Fiji. He is a Fiji Citizen and is currently in New Zealand on work permit. And I am New Zealand Permanent resident. He has served me divorce papers from Fiji. I assume in Fiji you only need to be seperated one year to file divorce papers. I would like to wait another year and file divorce papers through New Zealand Court system. Please advise what I should do? Do I reply to Fiji Magistrate that I will be filing divorce papers in New Zealand?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : I suspect that the one year period in Fiji will mean he can divorce you before you apply in New Zealand. You could write to the Fiji magistrate but this will not be a defence to his application once the year has passed. You would need a defence to the application to stop this.
christhelawyer : The Fiji divorce will still be valid in New Zealand.