How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22818
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Myself and my ex-partner are having a baby - baby will

Customer Question


Myself and my ex-partner are having a baby - baby will be born in june. I have made contact with her numerous times to talk about sharing baby from birth - She has not replied to any of my Messages and because it is getting closer to the time im afraid that I may miss out - birth cert/ baby etc... What can I do to try and secure 50/50 custody from BIRTH. I have a lot of Family support and am willing to do whatever it takes for my baby.

Any advice will be appreciated
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : You cannot take any steps before the child is born, but if she refuses to let you have contact and put you on the birth certificate, then you can apply to the Family Court for guardianship and for contact to be established.
christhelawyer : It would be unfortunate if she refused any role for you, but you can take those steps in court to protect your role as the father.
christhelawyer : So if you think that she will continue to be difficult, you can instruct a family lawyer to be ready to file when the child is born.

Related New Zealand Law Questions