How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22962
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the NZTA takes a PART of your property under the Public

This answer was rated:

If the NZTA takes a PART of your property under the Public Works Act 1981 for a roading project do they have to provide access to the part you are left with.

Can they create a landlocked title.


christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : The way to answer this, is that if the removal of access means the property is greatly devalued, then this could increase the compensation, which could include the cost of getting access restored.
christhelawyer : The legislation doesn't say that access should be restored when the land is taken, and if the road is a highway/ motorway, this could be a difficult issue. However in my view you should be negotiating on the basis that your access should be restored, or the compensation will need to be much greater, and so it is in all parties interests to ensure access.
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you