How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22887
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can an employer transition an employee from one division that

This answer was rated:

Can an employer transition an employee from one division that is being closed down into its other division without redundancy being paid?

christhelawyer : HiWelcome to JustAnswer. My first response will follow shortly. Please feel free to follow up if anything is not clear
christhelawyer : The first point is that you do not have an automatic right to redundancy pay unless your contract says so. If your contract does provide for a payment then you need to look at the actions of the employer and the consultation with you.
christhelawyer : There is an obligation on restructuring to consult with you and discuss the alternatives. If the only alternative is the other division, then provided this is more or less the same job then your choice is accept this or be laid off. If the job is more or less the same, but you reject this, you will not get redundancy
Customer: Thanks for the prompt reply and useful info.
christhelawyer : Can I help further?
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related New Zealand Law Questions