New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

hi if a bill is sent to me under the wrong name have i got…

Customer Question
hi if a bill is...
hi if a bill is sent to me under the wrong name have i got grounds for dispute.
this is a vodaphone bill that seems to have grown from maybe 500 to 1500 dollars over 3 yrs i since moved address and maybe the wrong name affected my vision of the debt.
thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
6/24/2010
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
It can depend on the degree that Vodophone got it wrong, whether you told them of the error, and whether you incurred the debt. If this is your debt and the details are only slightly wrong then you have to pay. If it isnt your debt and you are wrongly named then it isnt up to you to pay. If they sued you they could apply to have the name corrected. You will know the answer to these, and it is up to your conscience.

dear XXXXX

if the debt was originally 500 nzd and the rest is interest since i moved out of my house have i got a case if the name issue left me unsighted[this seems to be true as i rang vodafone approx 4 months ago and no debt was registered in my name]

The debt is still yours, with the mistakes. The vodaphone contract will provide for interest until paid. Even if you forgot about it this doesnt mean you do not have to pay. You could ask Vodaphone if they will do a deal on the interest if you pay the main bill.
i dont accept this answer as there is no allowance for my being unsighted or the possiblilitty of this [by the wrong name]
That is up to you. I can only tell you the legal answer. The honest answer is up to you. I am not going to tell you that you do not have to pay this, because that is what you want to read. You are better off explaining the problems to Vodaphone as an honest person rather than deluding yourself that you have a defence.

Edited by Chris LaHatte on 6/26/2010 at 1:19 AM EST