New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

What are AMF Rights as they relate to river frontages

?So do the public have...
What are AMF Rights as they relate to river frontages ?So do the public have right of entry to these grazing lands to the centre of the river. And what other Rights are attached to AMF Rights?
6/24/2010
Chris The Lawyer
By AMF rights are you referring to principle of usque ad
medium filum aquae. It depends on whether the river is tidal or not. For non tidal the land to the center of the river is the farmers and they can keep out the public. The use of the water is subject to resource restrictions. Grazing on the banks may be restricted due to erosion and pollution, but each council has its own restrictions.

This principle is a presumption, rebuttable by evidence of ownership to the contrary, that the boundaries of land on either side of a non-tidal river extend to its midpoint. I quote from a recent decision
[32] The English common law drew a distinction between tidal and non-tidal
rivers. A tidal river was regarded as an extension of the sea and navigable in law to
the highest tidal point; the riverbed was deemed to belong to the Crown: Halsbury’s
Laws of England (4ed 2004) vol 49(3) Water at [760]. The presumption of usque ad
medium filum aquae did not apply for the benefit of riparian owners in the area of
tidal ebb and flow, even when passage was suspended because the tide was too low
for vessels to float. The public right of navigation over a tidal river was a right of
passage, not a right of property: Ewing v Colquhoun [1877] 2 AC 839 (HL). It was
simply a right to pass, re-pass and remain for a reasonable time. There were
incidental rights attached to this right of passage, such as the ability, in the ordinary
course of navigation, to anchor, to load and unload over a convenient time, and even
to ground a boat.
[33] On the other hand, the principle of usque ad medium filum aquae applied to
non-tidal rivers. The boundary of the riparian land extended to the midpoint of the
river in the absence of evidence to the contrary: Bennion and others New Zealand
Land Law (2ed 2009) at 20. This Court has confirmed that in the case of nonnavigable
and non-tidal rivers, the registered proprietor of the adjacent land owns the
bed of the river to the middle line: In re the Bed of the Wanganui River [1962]
NZLR 600 at 609.
Chris The Lawyer

Thanks for the great answer.My section of river is not tidal.And in certain places my land stops at a legal road and from then on it is the riverbed.My AMF Rights would stop at the legal road and not extend into the riverbed.

On other sections of my property I have land between the road and the riverbed where AMF Rights do exist.Please confirm

There may be complications due to surveys not being adequate as well. And, as you know rivers move after a title has been cut out of an area, and this can complicate ownership and use. In general members of the public do not have access especially when your title goes to the middle of the river. Where your title goes to the legal road, I take the implication that this is a paper road which has not been formed. Where the road is adjacent to the river then you would not have any rights to the centre of the river. Those rights would belong to whoever owns that road, along the stretch adjacent to the road.