New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

What is involved in court with a Disorderly Behaviour case…

Customer Question
What is involved in court...
What is involved in court with a Disorderly Behaviour case? do i need legal representation on the day?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
6/16/2010
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
If you want to defend the case, then on the first call of the case it will be put off to a day when the evidence can be called. On that day, the police prosecutor will call the witnesses, and you can give evidence yourself, and call your own evidence. If you are confident on your feet and feel that you can ask questions which help defend the case you do not need a lawyer. If you are not confident then you may want a lawyer, but the usual penalty is just a fine.
Thank you Chris, I don't have a clear memory of the incident, although I'm sure I was only arguing. I don't feel with my fragmented memory that I have a case so my preference is to take diversion, I understand to do so I need to plead guilty, and that I can request a duty lawyer to request diversion on my behalf. is this correct?

I've never been to court before and am unsure of what I actually need to be doing on the day. My understanding is that it's a minor offence and these are usually fairly open and shut cases, I think my confusion is over the process for obtaining diversion and avoiding a conviction.

I'm a fairly intelligent individual and can think on my feet so if a legal representative is not necessary then i'd really just like to get it over and done with as quickly as possible. Thanks again.
You can ask for diversion if this is a first offence, and if you do not have much memory of the incident then this would be a good option. To get diversion you should contact the local prosecution section of the police and explain that this is what you want to do. They will quickly tell you if it is an option. The duty lawyer can assist in court on the day-make sure you turn up in plenty of time so you can discuss this with them, and then you will only need the one appearance to seek diversion. The police will also tell you waht is involved-community work or a donation to charity
Chris The Lawyer
Thanks once again, I really appreciate the advice, hope you enjoy the rest of your evening
It should be ok-dont foget to ask the police for the official information too.