New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I had a car accident 1 year ago and am now a C7 tetraplegic.

Customer Question
My job was PA /...
I had a car accident 1 year ago and am now a C7 tetraplegic. My job was PA / secretary / office administrator, certainly a position I could continue to do effectively with my new disability. My place of work (CDHB) was on level 1 of an old building with no lift access. ACC would not pay for the building mods (as expected). No other options have been explored, as of 2 weeks ago, my employment contract was terminated for the following reasons: ACC's decision not to pay for the building modifications and CDHB saying "we cannot continue to sustain your absence on an ongoing basis". Where do I stand and do I have a case of unfair dismissal or have I been discriminated against because of my disability?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
6/12/2010
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
The test may be what efforts they went to explore alternatives to the more expensive building alterations. A large organisation like CDHB should have other jobs doing this job function that would be more accessible in other locations. I also wonder whether they could have modified the building anyway as you will not be the only disabled worker employed by the Board. As you may be aware modern buildings must have disabled access. Perhaps ACC should be asked to fund a personal grievance to resolve this-as this does appear to be discriminatory.
Need to gather more facts and information in order to clarify and explain more fully. Can we continue this later?
Of course