New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Do we have a leg to stand on My partner has recieved a bill…

Customer Question
Do we have a leg...
Do we have a leg to stand on?
My partner has recieved a bill from a debt collection agency requiring him to pay $1200 for his ex girlfriends car repairs. We have emailed them and explained how it is for her car and she was the one paying it. They have come back saying he still has to pay it. Is there anything we can do? Or do we have to pay it? Is there any way we can get the money back off her? Realistically we cannot even pay it this year as I am in my final year of nursing and he is the sole provider for our family.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
6/11/2010
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
The person who should pay is the person who asked the car repairer to do the work. They cannot just re-address the bill to you if you didnt ask for the work to be done. If they say your partner asked for the work to be done, then he may be liable, but you will need to take the ex girlfriend to the Disputes Tribunal and get her to pay either your partner or the car repair company. You can do this yourself, and the forms are at any District Court office. There is a small filing fee.
He did ask for the work to get done on behalf of her as the mechanic was a client of his bosses. Would we have any chance in a disputes tribunal? The car has never been in his name and he has never been the sole driver of it. She still has the car and was the one originally making payments.
If the car is in her name and possession then yes she should pay. Your chances in the Tribunal should be good. Why dont you suggest to the debt collector that they hold off while you make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal, and assign the proceeds to them after deduction of your costs. Then you get them off your back and get the party responsible to pay.