Katrina Bell
Katrina Bell, Enrolled Barrister & Solicitor HCNZ
Experience:  LLB (Honours, First Class)
16173034

I am from New Zealand, and have been separated from my wife

I am from New Zealand, and have been separated from my wife amicably for two years, no kids, no property involved, what do I do next?

HelloCustomer/p>

I am an Australian lawyer and have referred your question to the New Zealand law category of the site, do you want to know what to do next in terms of applying for a divorce?

Hello wohofluffy

Sorry for the delay in responding, the site appears to have gone down.

The next step is to apply for a divorce (dissolution of marriage). You can do this yourself, or, if you and your ex are amicable, you can do a joint application. This is much easier as it means you do not need to 'serve' documents on the other party. You simply fill in the forms, take them to your local family court and pay the fee - you are not required to appear in court as the registrar handles the matter.

I am providing a link to the Family Court seperation and dissolution page which provides links to the necessary forms and information. http://www.justice.govt.nz/courts/family-court/what-family-court-does/separation-and-dissolution/general-advice-information

You are welcome to click "ACCEPT" and/or ask for further information if required.

Regards, Katrina

Experience: LLB (Honours, First Class)