Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Why would a migraine sufferer in otherwise good health be…

Why would a migraine...

Why would a migraine sufferer in otherwise good health be having chest pain and short fainting spells?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had fainting? Have you used any medication for it?

No. Other than two seemingly isolated incidents several years apart, it has just become more frequent lately.. I feel like I am going to faint, I kind of fuzz out while I am driving-so I'm not now- and I have to pull off. Then, within a few hours, I get a migraine.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the migraine?

Yes, I have. They are increasing in frequency but not duration. So, I might have to add a preventative again (many years ago I took Propanolol but I didn't see it as helpful). For the past ten years or so, I just avoid my triggers and take an Advil Migraine Strength and go to bed.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had three days of chest pain for the first time ever this past weekend. I was at the gym doing a Zumba class. I did notice shortness of breath while climbing steep stairs this winter. I am 59. Both sets of grandparents had either massive strokes or heart attacks at my age. I have had a syncope and a fall from a ladder nine years ago.

6/28/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of the various health symptoms as you have described above, and I am also sorry for the delay in replying to you, please see this is being a 24 X 7 online service so different experts may log in to the site at different times, I just logged in to the site and saw your question has still not been answered and I am now replying to you immediately as soon as I have logged in to the site just now. Thank you for your waiting & patience.

Coming to the discussion of your health situation;

First of all I want to inform and reassure you that symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath or fainting etc do not automatically indicate of some underlying serious issues such as heart or brain or lung related conditions etc

There are myriad other reasons to experience chest pain or shortness of breath or fainting etc

The following are various non-heart or brain or lung related conditions that can cause these types of symptoms;

1) High blood pressure

2) Low blood pressure

3) Anemia

4) High blood sugar

5) Low blood sugar

6) Electrolyte abnormalities

7) Thyroid issues

8) Vitamin deficiencies etc

9) Dehydration

10) Lack of sufficient sleep

11) Lots of work load

12) Excessive stress or excessive anxiety etc

Please see I am not telling all these above conditions or issues are applicable in your case, I am mainly trying to provide you with a list of various possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice to explain these types of new symptoms you have been having, these are just the various possibilities to consider to explain these types of symptoms you have been having, however not all of the above possibilities may be applicable in your case. For example if you feel you are not dehydrated or if you feel you get good sleep then these are unlikely the explanations for your symptoms - but I am just trying to highlight the point that there are various non-heart or brain or lung related conditions too that can cause the types of symptoms you have been having

And even migraine too can present with such symptoms. Sometimes such symptoms can precede a migraine attack - and then such symptoms can be considered as a type of migraine auras. Migraine auras are the symptoms that precede a migraine attack. Some migraine patients get these symptoms before their migraine starts (as auras as mentioned earlier), some get these symptoms during their migraine attacks, and some may experience these symptoms after their migraine attack is over too

So these symptoms may also be related to your migraines too

So there are so many non-heart/brain/lung possibilities such as migraine related, or related to one or more conditions mentioned in the list provided earlier to explain these new symptoms a thorough examination in the clinic followed by the following investigations can help to finalize the diagnosis;

1) A brain scan such as CAT scan or MRI scan of the brain

2) A Carotid ultrasound

2) An MRA (MR Angiogram) of the arteries in the brain

3) Orthostatic hypotension testing

4) Tilt table testing

5) Certain blood tests such as the following ones;

Electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium etc

Blood glucose levels

Kidney tests such as BUN, creatinine etc

Liver tests such as ALT, AST, Bilirubin etc

Blood Vitamin levels

Thyroid tests etc

If blood pressure has not been checked recently then it need to be checked now.

And then treated appropriately depending upon the test results and findings.

If any of the above tests have already been done after these new symptoms started then there is no need to repeat such tests

While there are so many non-heart related conditions can cause these new symptoms such as chest pain, breathlessness, fainting etc however if you have not already undergone the following investigations then you may try to undergo the following tests too;

1) An ECG of the heart

2) A holter monitor of the heart

3) An Echocardiogram of the heart

4) Later if required an Exercise Stress test of the heart

5) If not already done then a chest x ray too needs to be done to look at the lungs

And then treated appropriately depending upon the test results

If any of the above heart & lung related tests have already been done after these new symptoms started then there is no need to repeat such tests

Earlier mentioned tests such as brain scan, carotid ultrasound, MRA test etc check the brain and blood flow to the brain

And I see the migraine frequency has increased recently, and I also see you had tried propranolol in the past but it did not appear helping you for the migraines.

So we also need to consider starting some migraine preventive agents, and there are various options in this regard, and I will not post a list of various migraine preventive treatments that are commonly used;

The following is a list of treatment to help in preventing the future migraine (migraine headache preventive agents);

1) Trying certain General measures OR Home remedies OR OTC/Over the counter Non-prescription treatments for preventing future migraine attacks such as the following;

a) Identifying and avoiding exposure to migraine triggers as much as possible – which I see you have already been doing

b) Trying dietary modifications such as consuming magnesium rich diet consisting of green leafy vegetables, legumes, seeds, unrefined whole grains and brown rice, vegetable such as sweet potatoes, artichoke and okra, fruits such as apricots, kiwi fruit, yogurt and milk etc

c) Trying Oral Magnesium supplements

d) Trying certain non-prescription OTC migraine preventive agents such as the following ones;

Butturbur

Feverfew

Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)

CoQ 10 (Coenzyme q10)

Preventa Migraine

Migrelief

Migra spray or MigraSpray

Migralex

Migraclear

Migravent

Neuroline etc

2) Trying certain Prescription medication or injection treatment options for migraine prevention such as the following;

Anticonvulsants such as Topiramate, Depakote, Keppra, Zonisamide, Gabapentin, Pregabalin

GABA derivatives such as Baclofen, Tizanidine

Tricyclic medications such as Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline

Calcium Channel Blockers such as Verapamil, Diltiazem

SNRI agents such as Venlafaxine

Botox injections etc

3) Trying certain Complementary & Alternative medicine treatments to help with preventing migraine headaches such as the following;

Acupuncture

Biofeedback

Hypnotherapy etc

4) Trying certain Medical Devices or Special Procedures to help with preventing migraine headaches;

External Trigeminal Nerve/Supraorbital nerve Stimulation with Cefaly Prevent or Cefaly Dual

Regulat TENS unit (Regular transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation unit, which works out much less expensive than the above mentioned Cefaly which is a special prescription type of TENS unit)

eNeura’s Spring sTMS (Single Pulse Transcranial magnetic stimulation)

Occipital nerve block

Occipital Nerve Stimulation

Combined & simultaneous Occipital nerve & Trigeminal nerve/Supraorbital nerve neurostimulation

SPG Block (Sphenopalatine ganglion block) with Lidocaine 4% with or without a steroid

Low Level Laser therapy (Cold Laser therapy) etc

The above are the various migraine-preventive treatment options to consider, but please see not all these above mentioned treatments may be required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with several migraine-preventive treatments that are available for helping with your increased frequency of migraines and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried. And beta blockers such as Propranolol I have not mentioned in the above list since you had tried this before but you found it not helpful to you, so this time you may consider some other migraine-preventive treatment options.

To summarize once again;

1) While there are symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, fainting spells etc but these symptoms do not automatically indicate these represent some serious underlying health conditions such as heart or lung or brain related etc, so please not to be scared

2) Please see there are many non-serious possibilities as mentioned earlier above that can cause the type of new symptoms you have been having

3) A thorough further clinical evaluation followed by undergoing certain relevant investigations as mentioned earlier above can help us in finding out the precise cause for these new symptoms and then treated appropriately

4) As far as the migraine issue is considered, since the frequency has increased so some migraine-preventive agent is required, and there are varieties of migraine-preventive treatment options including over the counter non-prescription medications, prescription medications, medical devices, medical procedures, complementary & alternative treatment options etc as mentioned in the above list, all these help with migraine prevention and you may choose the treatments from the above list based on your preferences. And also propranolol is not mentioned in the above list since you had tried it in the past and found not helpful to you.

5) And also very importantly, please see this type of health issue can be diagnosed & successfully treated, so please not to be scared, an early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick & complete cure so please try to see a your doctors, preferably a specialist dr such as Neurologist and try to undergo a thorough clinical examination & investigations as discussed earlier above which will help with finalizing the diagnosis and also help with instituting the most appropriate treatments and resolution of various health symptoms you have been having!

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & professional effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now will not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

For future questions you can follow up either here, or you can reach me directly with "a question for Dr Subbanna MD" through my Just Answer direct link mentioned below here;

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsubbannamd

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)