Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Dr. Around the beginning of December 2016, I deleveloped…

Dr. Around the beginning of...
Dr. Around the beginning of December 2016, I deleveloped burning, tingling sensations in my feet, primarily is my right foor, neurologists in early 2017, did not give me answers. They did several tests, it hot progressively worse until about June 2017, then it got much better, it was like it completely went away. I took the liberty and tested for HIV after these symptoms started, tested negative on Jan 31, feb 15, march 15 and April 12, these were I. 2017, these were 4th gen tests. I even took an HIV RNA 1 qualitative test march 21, 2017, Also negative. Symptoms went away around June last year, but came back this past late November 2017, same right foot, painful burning, tingling, and tingling in legs.
Went to a new neurologist, performed an EMG/NCV came back normal. I suffer from high blood preassure, I know it was not under control and have had extreme anxiety over this.
What can this be?
Shall I discard HIV?,
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/8/2018
DIEGO BONILLA

Hello.

This is Dr. Dago. I have more than 10 years of experience. I understand your concerns.

How old are you?

Do you have any other medical conditions?

Do you take any medications?

Could you describe a bit more the problem in detail?

I'm 64, no other conditions besides high blood preassure and anxiety, I take lisinopril, and gabapentin. I have painful burning sensations in my feet, primarily my right foot, tingling in legs, I'm able to sleep at night, it's starts when I get up and leave the house, driving is very painful as well as standing for a while. I feel it in bottom of feet and top, twitching along the left side of foot. it's like a burning feeling, painful tingling.

How long have you had this problem? Have you tried any medications? Have you ever been tested for diabetes?

Last year my AIC was 5.7, not tested since. Problem began in early December 2016, went away in June 2017, or at least, did not feel much at all, and returned in December 2017. Tried gabapentin, amitriptiline, no help.

Have you had an EMG or MRI?

recent emg showed normal MRI last year was normal, MRI of spine it was.. brain MRI last year showed a brain hematoma, had surgery in June and another surgery in September, my symptoms had already gone by the first surgery.

I think we can discuss this in detail.

sorry DR, do you need more details?

Any accidents? For how long have you had this problem?

No accidents or falls or anything like that , this is pertaining to the hematoma?. It was discovered by brain MRI in may last year

It's unlikely the hematoma can cause the symptoms you have. When was the last MRI done?

Ct scan was done two weeks ago, to follow up, everything was good, that was a brain Ct scan no recent MRI, last one last may, 2017.

Did you have a MRI of the lumbar and thoracic spine too?

normal

What about EMG?

Had an emg done two months ago, was normal

You can rule out HIV for sure. Your pain is likely a neuropathy. You can try physical therapy. Medications like gabapentin or pregabalin work after several weeks of treatment.

Thank you DR. I'll try physical therapy.and the medications. And rule out HIV because I tested neg after my symptoms started?

Yes. You have a negative HIV test

Please leave a positive rating.

DIEGO BONILLA
Thank you Dr.