Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have hydrocephalus and I’ve been having symptoms of what I…

I have hydrocephalus and...

I have hydrocephalus and I’ve been having symptoms of what I think is a malfunction. I did notify my physicians about my symptoms and with my current symptom of neck pain with it. I’ve never experienced it before and I have taken OTC medications for pain and also prescription medications as well. I’m just waiting on my neurosurgeon to get my x rays ordered but with the neck pain it has me more concerned then the pressure in my head. My headache is a very minor pain level so it’s bearable. I had been laying down this evening and when I sat up my head pain did increase a little but it was more of a 4 instead of the 2 that I deal with all day. And I never fit normal criteria when it comes to symptoms of it as well. I have contacted my neurosurgeon several times today about all of this.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Nausea is pretty much constant as well. By the strange thing is I haven’t vomited until after I get home from work. Only once each time the past two days. My headache comes and goes. But as of right now it has been constant since I’ve been sitting up for about 20 minutes now. I have been sensitive to lights and noises but I’ve still been working since my pain is bearable for right now. I pushed on my shunt yesterday but not today. Since I was hoping I would have my orders for my x rays.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My doctor does know my medical history due to me getting previous records from my previous pediatric neurologist and my past neurosurgeon. I’ve been having minor symptoms off and on for two years now and this time is so different than any of those times.

6/6/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

do you have a VP shunt you think is malfunctioning?

I think it possibly is. Due to the unusual symptoms I’ve been having. I do have a vp shunt. It is 17 years old. As of right now I just vomited again for the second this evening and now I’m having chills. And I’m not cold. But I honestly don’t think I have fever. My hands and body are cool to the touch.
I have never had neck pain like this with it either. I never fit normal textbook cases either.

do you have bad anxiety symptoms

you can see your neurosurgeon who can reset and check on your VP shunt to see if it is working properly

what state do you live in?

you may benefit from medical marijuana to help your headaches and nausea symptoms.

I do have anxiety and I am treated for it with medication as well. Two medications to be exact.
My symptoms that I am currently having isn’t anxiety. I can tell when I’m having anxiety attack’s and I use my inhaler to help with that and my asthma as well.

I see.

then see your neurosurgeon and get your VP shunt checked.

I am waiting on x ray orders from him. And I have alerted my neurologist as well. Having these unusual symptoms is what bothers me more than anything. Today at work I was looking down looking for a blood sample. I work in a hospital lab. So while I was searching for it my neck hurt really bad and I had to squeeze the muscles in my neck to relieve it. That has happened twice today. And I have never had that issue before either. And I took tension headache OTC medication for it. It didn’t help of course. I do have sumatriptan from my neurologist as well. Do you think that would help my pain any as a temporary relief.
That is my last resort of relief for my headache and neck pain.
I take all my precautions when it comes to these issues but this time it is more terrifying to me then any other time except for when I was nine and I’m the hospital post op one day screaming with my head feeling like a hot air balloon. I just don’t want to get to that point or pain level ever again. Well thank you for helping me and giving me the advice I needed with my issues. I just wanted to get the confirmation of knowing I was doing the correct thing in my situation. I am also being treated for seizures in which I started seizure medication in October 2017. I started taking two seizure medications a day as of April. But again thank you for helping me. I don’t get in to see my neurosurgeon until the 19th unless my x rays show something. I’m really not sure if it is a malfunction of calcification of my shunt since it is 17 years old. It was placed in September 2001.

you can try medical marijuana which can help decrease seizures and can help decrease anxiety symptoms and can help decrease headache pains as well

I won’t be trying that. Thanks. I did take my sumatriptan so hopefully I will get better sleep tonight then last night and I also starting using a weighted blanket. Since I started using a weighted blanket my sleeping pattern is so much better and my headaches as well until the past few days.

that is good a weighted blanket has helped you.

Along with my symptoms the past few days I am also dealing with my monthly cycle. My symptoms have been off and on prior to the most recent constant symptoms and issues I’ve been dealing with. And as of right this moment my headache is about a dull 4 even with medication and my sumatriptan. Should I push my bulb on my shunt to see if it relieves pressure. Monday after about 45 minutes afterwards I literally felt the fluid moving around in my shunt which is abnormal for me to notice as well. Even with previous times of pushing my shunt bulb.

pushing the bulb is to check the CSF fluid flow in the shunt and to see how long it takes to fill back up with CSF fluid in the bulb

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
How long should it take to fill up if it is working properly? And what would be the indicator of it not working properly? Does it help relieve pressure on my brain if I push it? On Monday I could tell it did help a little but not much.

it should fill up in a few seconds if the VP shunt is flowing properly

the shunt is programmed to keep the pressure in the brain level.