Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have just found out that I have Psyatica. I am in

Customer Question
I have just found...

I have just found out that I have Psyatica. I am in excruciating pain that's incessant. Neither my PCP nor urgent care physicians gave me anything for pain. I can't get out of bed, what shall I do ?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I've had the pain about a week. Just getting up on my feet is aweful laying down is a bit better although there's nothing I can do to escape this writhing pain. I can barely breathe.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, nothing

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Neurology
6/1/2018
Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 23 days ago
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

For pain relief, you may take Tylenol and Motrin alternate every 4 hours.

Sciatica is treated as following;

1) Back care in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems. Back education is one of the most important thing which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activity helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when back is painful in case they have to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:

a) Avoid activities which increase the pain.

b) Rest intermittently

c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees

d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided till pain subsides

f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing

g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on the floor

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen, other analgesics like Tramadol and muscle relaxants

3) Local analgesic gels or sprays/ointment

4) Hot fomentation

5) Electrotherapy like trans cutaneous electrical nerve stimulation: done by the physical therapist. Other things are ice packs, heating pads, electrical stimulation, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, relaxation, and biofeedback.

6) Well supervised physiotherapy: The exercises consist of abdominal bracing, modified sit-ups, double-knee-to-chest or low back stretches, seat lifts, mountain and sag exercises, knee-to-elbow exercises, hamstring stretches, extension exercises, and extension flexibility exercises. Swimming exercises (pool exercises) are best for back pain. Initial stretching and later strengthening exercises are taught.

7) Lumbosacral corset or support or brace

8) If obese or overweight, reduce weight for long-term benefit.

9) Epidural steroid shots

10) Surgery is usually last resort when the above conservative measures fail. You can start the following exercises;

1) Straight leg raising: Lie on the bed with your back and remain in a relaxed position. Slowly raise one of your legs upward and keep it as straight as possible. Count up to ten, and slowly bring down the leg. Do the same with the other leg. Repeat this exercise ten times.

2) Curl-ups; lie on the back with knees bent, fold arms across the chest, tilt the pelvis to flatten the back, and curl-up lifting the head and shoulders from the bed/couch. Hold for ten seconds, then slowly lower to starting position. As strength builds, aim to complete one set of ten curls. The exercise should be done twice a day (both the sets).

This is a slideshow for the exercises;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/LB00001_D

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 22 days ago

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5-star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.