Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Actually, I already had the Gamma Knife radiation surgery…

Customer Question
Actually, I already had...

Actually, I already had the Gamma Knife radiation surgery two years ago for an Acoustic Neuroma. However, two things went wrong before the radiation. The frame slipped 1/4 - 1/2 inch after the measurements were completed. Also, while they were fastening me to the table and putting "sponges" under my neck, my neck popped. Since the procedure, I have had severe head pain. My balance has gotten worse. Sometimes, I look like I'm walking drunk. I have been on SOOO many medications. The only thing that has taken the edge off the pain has been Ibuprofen 800 mg and Percocet 10/325. The pain never goes away. It's 24/7. I'm currently seeing a neurologist and have had over 200 nerve block injections in my forehead, temples, back of head, neck and shoulders. Nothing helped. I'm wondering what could have been radiated in my head that the oncologist is not telling me. The MRI's are not showing anything.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Not really a record....every day is pretty much the same. There isn't any one thing that sets it off more than the other.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I didn't have any problems before this. I may have had 1-2 migraines in my life. This all started right after the procedure. I have not been able to work.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Neurology
5/31/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 24 days ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

Is the pain only in the back of the head?

Did they order a MRI of the cervical spine (neck area)?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The pain goes from the location of the pins on the frame in the forehead to where the pins were in the back. So, it's from my forehead to the back and across the top. Plus, there is a extreme amount of pressure in my temples. It feels like someone is pressing in on them with the palms of their hands.
I have had an MRI of the neck. All it showed was normal "wear and tear".
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
My neurologist now thinks they may have hyper-extended my neck. The pain intensifies within the area mentioned at different levels. I have yet to figure out what makes it change. I am going to try to get Nucca chiropractic approved through my insurance. I've tried everything that was asked of me. This is something my husband's friend mentioned.
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 23 days ago

OK thank you.

It is possible that the pins in the back of the head may have irritated/injured the occipital nerve, and some people do have some type of occipital neuralgia after this kind of procedure.

But this would not cause pain in the forehead area (the occipital nerves don't go to the front of the head).

Upper cervical spine issues can also cause pain in the back of the head, and that is what they may have seen -- "wear and tear" in the upper cervical spine.

One thing that might be helpful is to have a steroid injection done in the back of the neck and head - to see if it can help calm down any inflammation in this area. This is probably deeper than the "nerve block injections" that you have been getting -- by getting the medicine to the spinal nerves in the cervical spine, it may help better than the more superficial nerve "blocks".

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I already had two spinal (neck) injection procedures between C3 - C6. I don't remember the exact numbers. There was no change.

Perhaps there is an issue with the hyperextension which can have irritated nerves / joints in the neck.

But most people would have felt some type of relief with the steroid injections into the neck.

The Gamma knife procedure itself should not be causing this type of pain, and the type of tumor it was treating also should not cause this type of pain.

I would want your MRI of the cervical spine evaluated by a neurosurgeon to make sure there isn't something the other doctors are missing.

Trying the chiropractor also shouldn't hurt, and certainly would be worth trying.