Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

What is the requirement for a physician/neurologist to

Customer Question
What is the requirement...

What is the requirement for a physician/neurologist to perform a Spinal tap?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

A neurologist has recommended one for my brother, who was diagnosed with fluid on his brain. The neurologist suggested that if he didn't do the test properly, he would refer to a radiologist.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

This is all brand new, so we don't have any records at this time.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

A mild heart attack more than 10 years ago, and non-insulin dependent diabetes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Neurologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Thx

I'm sorry your brother requires a spinal tap. The procedure is typically performed by an Interventional Radiologist or a Neurologist. The requirements are a part of their Residency Training. Neurosurgeons are also trained to perform this test. The test carries little risk. Infection is the most common risk and that happens at the worst 1/5000 procedures. The test is considered to be safe and when needed, can be life-saving.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

I thought this was a simple question. What is the training of neurologist to do spinal tap. This steam iofadditional costs not what I expected. I will go to another source rather than continue to expose myself to new charges at every stop along the eay

I'm sorry, you must have gotten the auto request for Premium Service, which you do not have to accept. Whatever "charge" was initially provided is all that you are going to pay.

The training of a Neurologist for spinal taps is doing this procedure under supervision during their residency until they become proficient.

Which is why I didn't resoind

As is your prerogative.

If my responses are not satisfactory or I have not given you the information you are seeking, please let me know and I will opt out so another expert can respond to your question.