Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Who in the medical field can assess brain damage and term…

Customer Question
Who in the medical...

Who in the medical field can assess brain damage and long term disfunction as result of injury?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

Yes but the injury was initially yrs prior, with several concussions since- mri shows brain shrinkage, and i am looking for an assessment route similar to Weschler testing in children

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No it is all relative to the way in which my friend goes through daily life and how he processes basics- something initially thought to be ADD or ADHD which it is not. It is in his understanding is not clear and he doesnt know why he thinks how he does. Aggression, depression, and comprehension deficiencies are a big part of his daily life and i am seeking a route for testing his current situation so we can decifer his current and upcoming needs etc. He is 64 and has had some issues for yrs, previously not understood with brain/ sports head injuries. Are there testing routes he can take to evaluate him, and who do i consult for these assessments?

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Neurology
5/30/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 26 days ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

The people with the most experience with this type of issue would likely be the neuropsychologists that are associated with a traumatic brain injury rehabilitation center.

They can do extensive neuropsychiatric testing (which can be hours long) to help quantify any potential issues with his neurological functioning, and often make sure that there aren't any other avenues which would require further testing.