Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Everytime i inhale i get a sore throat sensation around my…

Customer Question
Everytime i inhale i get...
Everytime i inhale i get a sore throat sensation around my adam’s apple.
it doesn’t feel good.
its like i feel my breath moving down my throat.
like i’m breathing with my throat and not my nose.
yet my mouth is closed. i dont know how to explain..
it also makes my inhale longer than exhale.
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Neurology
5/29/2018
Neurologist: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 23 days ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am here to help you. Can you tell me please, are you having any fever? Does it hurt to swallow food or drink? Any coughing, runny nose, congestion, or itchy watery eyes?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I don't have fever, it doesn't hurt to swallow or drink. Well sometimes when i drink cold water it gets somewhat worse. no coughing, no runny nose, no congestion and no itchy watery eyes. my eyes are very dry

Thank you for that information. You may have some mild irritation inside your throat causing some mild swelling. It's possibly you might be coming down with a mild illness, like a cold. That would explain why you're feeling what you feel. As long as you're not struggling to breathe, it's not dangerous. As long as you can eat and drink, that's a good sign too. Do you have any other specific questions I can address?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I'm struggling to breathe because it's really unpleasant. It's not a cold because i've been having this for 3 months. it comes and goes.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
it's worst at night

In that case, with 3 months of difficulty with regular breathing, I recommend seeing a physician for an in-person visit. They may want to do some simple tests such as an x-ray or ultrasound to visualize your upper airway and may recommend seeing an ENT specialist (ear, nose, throat) who can perform an in-office procedure using a fiberoptic camera to take a look at the inside of your throat area. Any other questions I can help with?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Is it because i'm in my bedroom 24/7? i open my window everyday to get fresh air in but..

Probably not. But it's good to get some fresh air in your room regularly.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
can anxiety/overbreathing cause it? i just hope it’s not cancer

Anxiety can cause many symptoms. Very unlikely at your young age to have any cancer of the throat area.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
lately my body has been aging rapidly so who knows. so.. you don’t know what is wrong with my throat?

From you description, I cannot tell you exactly what has been going on in your throat for the past 3 months, no. The time frame alone tells me though, that you may need to see someone for a thorough physical exam and possibly testing to come to an accurate diagnosis. I'm more that happy to try and answer any other questions you might have.

I hope I have provided you with some helpful information in addressing your questions on JustAnswer today. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
if i put my hand around my nose and breathe, the sore throat sensation is gone

I see. That would seem to suggest more of a "referred" discomfort, i.e. something in the nasal passages, sinuses or where the nasal airway passages connect to the top of the throat being the cause of your discomfort since it disappears when you block the nose and breathe only through the mouth.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
no. i meant like i breathe the warm air that is covered around my nose. breathing with my nose. not mouth
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
when you cover your nose with your hand and breathe in and out thru nose, i breathe in this warm air that completely removes the sore throat feeling.

I see. It's possible that cooler air might be causing some sort of muscle spasm that the warm air is not.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
well..?