Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve been being treated for a cluster migraine for 7 weeks.

Customer Question
I’ve been being treated...

I’ve been being treated for a cluster migraine for 7 weeks. It must be getting somewhat better Because I have a few pain free times most days but it keeps coming back. So does the dizziness, nauseated, sweetly, blurred vision.. wondering if I need an MRI to rule out anything else?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Every single day. All of the symptoms. I am also exhausted

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have hashimoto thyroid and sjogrens. I take meds for those. Also high blood pressure that I take meds for. I’ve had many grains headaches off and on but this is something done different.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
5/29/2018
Neurologist: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 2 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

How exactly was this diagnosed as being cluster headaches?

And how are they being treated?

After a week of it and because i was having blurred vision i went to have my eyes checked. He said it was not my vision.. sent me to my reg dr. Took another week or so to see him. Just symptoms was how it was diagnosed. Ive been on MethyIPREDNIsolone graduated down since and was givenKetorolac as needed and Nifedipine at bedtime for a week or so.. the only thing i am still in, because my symptoms have stayed so he called in more steroids.

Thanks

In general an MRI is needed if there are signs of increased intracranial pressure as with a swollen optic nerve, one pupil being dilated, balance problems and loss of vision problems. That's not the case with you.

Also any headache that continues and doesn't respond to medications would require an MRI

So in your case, although I doubt a brain tumor, if I were your doctor I would get the MRI

Please let me know if you need any more information