Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

29 having upperback pain. It started a few months ago. it…

Customer Question
29 having upperback pain...

29 having upperback pain. It started a few months ago. it hurts constantly with movement and just aches. I used a tens unit but that made it worse and now both arms are aching and Im not sure if that from the unit or not. also my legs have been aching as well. I feel like i have been hit by a bus.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No just lifting my kids

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/25/2018
Neurologist: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Sorry to hear about that . Have you had any scans on your back ? Any fever , weight loss , numbness in your arms ?

no scans because my dr keeps saying muscle related. I have lost weight but i switched to water. No numbness and i know this sounds silly but im starting to fear als.

No upper back isnt something specific of ALS so dont worry about that . If its not getting any better with physiotherapy and OTC pain relief then ideally an MRI must be done to look for anything related to your spine . So for now continue with TENS and physiotherapy . You can massage with topical capsaicin cream , avoid lifting heavy weight and take a painkiller like ibuprofen or tylenol as and when required.

Worsening with movement definitely means its either muscular or skeletal / spine related.

Hope you feel better soon.

both my arms ache and my left leg has been cramping as well but these symptoms just started a week ago. arms started after i used the tens unit.

Nerves supplying our arms and legs originate from the spine thats why i recommend an MRI to see if there is anything pinching any nerves

ok thank you, ***** ***** cant seem to kick the fear of als

Its not ALS ,nothing suggestive of ALS in your description of symptoms . Just relax