Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US trained and licensed physician
101248673

MY sister has a balance problem that started about 10 years

MY sister has a balance problem that started about 10 years ago. It was discovered that the crystals in her ears were out of alignment. She was and continues to have the crystals realign, but the balance problem is continuous. She was diagnosed two years ago with Parkinson. We are aware that Parkinson does not cause balance problems. Can you give us any insiight on how to improve her balance
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: She has had the ear issue for about 10 years, and it is not related to colds or flus.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She had a tumor removed from her spine about 6 years ago. The tumor traveled up her spine. The neurosurgeon removed the tumor which was also attached to a nerve that was also removed. The extension of this nerve ran to her chest.

Hi, my name is***** am an ENT physician and I will try to help you today.

Is the balance issue continuous or is it brought on by certain motions/movements? Does it feel like a room-spinning sensation or more like an imbalance/dysequilibrium sensation?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It feels like an imbalance/dysequilibrium sensation. This sensation is not brought on by certain movements
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am unable to talk on phone, can you give me some idea to what is happening.

She needs to have balance testing done such as a VNG and rotary chair. This will help elucidate where the imbalance is coming from (ear vs. brain). From there, if she hasn't seen a neurologist, she should do that. She may require a brain MRI. Finally, balance therapy, which is available at many physical therapy centers, can really help people with this type of balance issue. She seems like the ideal candidate for balance therapy.

Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating today. We can continue to speak even after you rate. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my sister states that she was told that the inbalance is from Parkinson, even though she has had the balance problem before she was diagnosed with Parkinson. She also has the crystal problem in the ear, and that she is able to adjust on her own.

Yes, unfortunately, the Parkinson's can definitely contribute to the balance issue. Make sure she is being adequately treated for that as well.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there any treatment to resolve the balance promise or is this a permanent problem she will continue to have. She is taking dopamine at this time.

First she must get to the source of the problem and from there can get a treatment. In most cases, balance therapy will be the main mode of treatment as medications generally do not help with balance issues.

Thank you!