Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My father has been diagnosed ith frontal lobe dementia and…

Customer Question
My father has been...

My father has been diagnosed ith frontal lobe dementia and my gut is telling me it is something else he is 72 years old and we haven't had anyone diagnosed in his family just 1 aunt but she was 89

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

The doctors tell me that it is not some kind of psychological condition even though I know that it can be he is on resperidol

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He had a virus last june just before they diagnosed hiom with dmentia where he had a rash in his groin a few weeks before this and then was admitted to hospital in june with a fever of 103 and never did figure out what this was fro also my dad has exercised weight lifted biked ran and walked and is slim and eaten right his whole life physically in better shape then most 30 year old men

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
4/3/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

What do you think is going on?

has he had neuropsych testing?

well I know he has paranoid thinking and has had some inappropriate social things and has been diagnosed with frontal lobe dementia he has had one MRI and was diagnosed with the dementia but yet a dr Horace reider talked to me personally he is professor and dr at Lyndon state college in Vermont, he reviewed his MRI and said he did not feel it was dementia but I wasn't on my dads hippa papers so Dr Rieder is the only dr I have actually talked to except a Dr in the rutland regional medical center ER that said dad had dementia but he hasn't seen a nuerologist ever!! He had the high fever in june of 2017 and was hospitalized for 4 days and I know he had a bad groin rash a month or so before this high fever and they never figured out y he had the fever. I just have a feeling something else is going on he has a great long term memeory prett good short term memory but is compulsive and he his judgement isn't always good does have paranoia but he is now on I think 2mg of resperodol a day and is doing better, I think he should see a nuerologist
no phone call just wondering your opinion

what did they base the diagnosis on?

does he have any long standing psych issues like depression?

just click send to reply