Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My 5 year old daughter has Hepatitis C. She had one seizure…

Customer Question
My 5 year old...

My 5 year old daughter has Hepatitis C. She had one seizure where she fazed out and did some lip smacking but she needed medicine to get her to stop seizuring. She has autism and does not want to take medicine. The doctor put her on liquid Keppra. I could not get her to take the medicine every day as she would either spit it out or refuse to take it. I started at 1 ml at hour of sleep. After four weeks I finally got her to take it every night so I increased to 1 ml BID. After three weeks I increased to 1ml at AM and 2 ml at PM, finally after another two weeks I got her to take 2 ml BID. Was this dangerous to increase so slowly? I was concerned about increasing more quickly and damaging her kidneys

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

No

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
4/1/2018
Neurologist: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hi... I understand your concern.
I reassure you not to be worried about going about increasing slowly at all.
You did the right thing what is best for an autistic child, to go slow and gradually make her except the medication.
You did the job excellently well please do not worry about it at all.
There is no harm in going up slowly.
Meanwhile if you are worried about an intermittent seizure while you are up until the prescribed dose of levetiracetam I suggest that you keep in hand midazolam nasal spray to use in an emergency if she has a breakthrough seizure.
" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

I will be glad to be of assistance to you if you have any further questions in this health regard please

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani