Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having persistent headaches for 25 days now.

I have been having...

I have been having persistent headaches for 25 days now. They do not respond to any pain medicine. My neurologist ordered am MRI, which came back with "No acute abnormality. Few scattered punctate foci of T2 hyperintensity supratentorial white matter is a nonspecific finding, but may be seen in patients with migraine headaches" should I be concerned?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

It is daily. Not constant, but not much of a break either.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nausea has been minimal for the most part, and also a little dizziness some days.

I have a history of migraines, as well as depression, and hypothyroidism.
3/28/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have expressed your concerns about the spots seen in the mri scan of the brain; as a Neurologist I am very familiar with this finding, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see, the spots seen in your brain mri is not pathological or due to anything serious in nature, rather these spots are totally benign in nature

The mri finding of – “Few scattered punctate foci of T2 hyperintensity supratentorial white matter” is not representative of any brain pathologies

These are very tiny spots and that is the reason in the report they have mentioned “punctate” spots, such few scattered tiny spots are not representative of any diseases affecting the brain

This is a benign finding and many normal people or people without any brain diseases have these kind of spots in their brain mri

Some people with history of migraine too have these kinds of spots, but these are certainly benign in nature as mentioned above

These spots are not going to cause you any health issues either currently, or in the future too

Also these spots are not going to increase in their numbers the brain in the future; these spots may remain the same or even may resolve eventually

Also these tiny spots are not going to cause any complications including any dementias, or strokes etc currently or in the future

Also very importantly these tiny punctate spots are not due to conditions such as due to conditions such as MS (Multiple Sclerosis) or Stroke or brain tumors etc. These conditions will present with certain distinct and typical findings, but not as few scattered tiny punctate spots in the brain – as your brain scan is showing.

Once again I can very confidently reassure you, these types of spots seen in the mri scan of the brain are common benign findings, many normal people have these types of spots, or migraine too can cause these tiny spots, but these are just benign findings and these spots are not going to cause any kind of problems either currently or in the future, and also these spots are definitely not suspicious for conditions such as MS, or Strokes, or Brain tumors, or any other serious conditions, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Thank you so much for the detailed and thorough response. This will certainly help me sleep easier tonight!
Best,
Christina

You are very welcome Christina! My pleasure! I am very glad you found the above information helpful!

Once again, this is definitely a benign normal finding, so certainly not to be scared and you can fully relax!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & professional effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now will not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Wishing you all the very best!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)