Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I’m having tingling on my nose where my glasses are but when…

Customer Question
I’m having tingling on...

I’m having tingling on my nose where my glasses are but when they are off? It happens most when I’m laying down. But does occur when I’m at rest

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

No breathing problems. Probably about a week.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I stopped taking nighttime meds three weeks ago I was having all over twitches but they have stopped

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
The twitches were all over. Most in legs. But some stomach.
The tingling I can also experience numbness.
The twitches are not visible.
It can feel it sometimes on my upper lip (where mustache area would be)
3/28/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

How old are you?

Do you have any other medical issues?

Do you have a specific concern that we could answer?

(such as the common question -- do I have ALS?)

I’m 32. No other medical issues. I was taking dipenhedramine for years consistently and then abruptly stopped. Then two days later all the twitches started. Now it’s been about two weeks of intermittent twitches. I’m concerned about ALS and MS.
I also had a eye lid twitch that is intermittent. I had a root canal about four weeks ago. The eye twitch started one day after my root canal.

Ok.

It is not ALS -- that is associated with weakness first, typically in the hand or the foot which gradually gets weaker, then as the disease spreads -- can manifest as twitches in different muscles. Plus you are too young for ALS to be a real consideration.

MS is unlikely as well, though more common in younger people -- but typically the symptoms are related more to sensory disturbances rather than twitching in different areas.

Perhaps it is related to your sudden change in medication use. Twitches can come with electrolyte abnormalities. They can come with stress.

But in your case, not related to ALS or MS.

Could stopping dipehnedramine after such long use cause the twitches all over?

People that have twitching everywhere should discuss this further with your doctor, who will likely start with bloodwork to look at the chemistry panel, and test thyroid hormone levels.

Stopping the medication after a long time probably does not have anything to do with the muscle twitches, but certainly anything is possible. You can simply test this by taking the medication for a few days and see if the twitches stop.

And if you are truly concerned, your doctor can order EMG testing to look for evidence of the twitches (fasciculations) and look for potential other conditions that cause the twitches.

Ok. I did go to doctor. He did a strength test and full workout and everything was perfect (his words). I’m stressed about it and when I obsess it does seem to get worse.

You may be having your stress and anxiety worsen the fasciculations.

If you are fine on the doctor's exam -- you don't have any serious neurologic condition.

Try not to worry so much.

Best of luck.