Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I just got a blood test. blood cells

Customer Question
Hi: I just got...

Hi: I just got a blood test. White blood cells count--8.8(normal),lymphocytes--16.8(low);monocytes--13(high) All else, red and white were normal.I am recovering well from neuropathy caused by LEVOQUIN.Can this neuropathy condition(tingling,etc.) affect the readings ?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

Symptoms(achilles tendonitis, tingling legs,minor swelling) for about a week and a half. Rest, swimming, compression socks, supplements have reduced the symptoms so much that i hardly notice them now.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Hip replacement a year ago which has begun to bother me for a few months. I think it was due to a michine at thegym where i might have used a bit too much weight. BTW, i am 80 years old and swim 4-5 days a week and compete in Masters meets.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Neurology
3/27/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD) replied 25 days ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)

Hello. Are those numbers percentages or absolute numbers? Do you have the normal ranges for your lab?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Lymphocytes 25-44; monocytes--1-10
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Please respond online here and on my e-mail
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Where is your response?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I answered your question . Where is your response?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I still have no response from you

Those are percentages. Because of this, the numbers for all the different types of white blood cells has to add up to 100. So when one is a little high (e.g. monocytes) another will be a little low (e.g. lymphocytes). These numbers vary from day to day or week to week. An infection somewhere (e.g. skin, sinuses, lung, bladder, prostate) could push one up relative to the others for awhile.

The bot***** *****ne is that these changes in the percentages of white blood cell subtypes are not worrisome, in and of themselves. They are certainly not alarm values. If you recheck these levels in a couple days or weeks, they will likely normalize. If they worsen, your doctor will have to do some further testing to find out why. A drug allergy or reaction could be responsible, particularly if it provoked inflammation somewhere. In a case like this, the levels should normalize once the inflammation has resolved.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I had a urinary infection several weeks ago. That was why the LEVOQUIN 750 mg was prescribed.The UTI was completely destroyed and a count of 25 went down to 1---excellent. But the neuropathy symptoms (first achilles tendonitis) began on the third day i took the med, which i took for 5 days.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
then, my counts could be an allergic reaction to the LEVOQUIN?

This could be the result of the tendonitis. This can take several weeks or months to resolve completely (particularly in someone as active as you are) because it is difficult to fully rest a tendon we rely on for standing and walking.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
then,no infection? I was worried about possible infection getting into my hip replacement.Now i guess the hip pain is due to
over-exercise, Correct? The lab doctor suggested that the counts might indicate a flu-like virus . I have no symptoms(fever, etc.).
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I haven't gotten your response
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I guess i didn't send this== The lab doctor suggested that the counts might be a virus. I have no symptoms however.Anything else it could be, like a direct allergic reaction to the LEVOQUIN, or is it the white blood subtypes working to correct the achilles tendonitis? So, no infection worries?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Please respond to this last message.

I don't think this is an infection in your hip. The WBC would likely be much higher and you might have fever, chills, nausea, etc. A virus could do this, but it shouldn't last long. The tendonitis could be the culprit, but this too should improve within a couple weeks to months.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK Thanks.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Doctor-Bob

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)