Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I hope so! My finger of the left hand suddenly got numb and…

Customer Question
I hope so! My...

I hope so! My long finger of the left hand suddenly got numb and a dark spot grew on it. It hurt. The darkness as not left yet. What is it? I have psoriasis and low bloodpressure and my part of the left heel has been numb for months

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Have you been feeling dizzy or lightheaded?

A few days ago. And no I'm not either. I feel fine, besides this sudden loss of blood in my long finger...and the dark part.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

About this symptom, no. I have always had fingers that would get cold and numb before, not like this. I exercise my head off 4 times a weeks in Zumba classes and weight classes

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Neurology
3/27/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 23 days ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

When you say dark spot -- is it at the fingertip? Is it somewhere else on the finger?

Is this a blood clot, or something else?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
the whole end of the finger is darker, but there is a darker section nearer the first joint. My numbness and pain is fading but I'd let to know why and what i could do to avoid it in the future.. The darker section is still tender.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I can write quite well. This is simple to describe.

or this:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/buergers-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20350658

It is a bit hard know exactly what is going on, but certainly having your primary care doctor look at the finger would be helpful.

Your story makes it sound as if it is a blood flow issue to the finger, which would then also cause pain and numbness, and I think your doctor should do further testing to make sure this bloodflow to your hand is not being compromised.

Best of luck.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)