Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had lumbar fusion surgery of l45 s1 and decompression on…

Hi I had lumbar fusion...
Hi I had lumbar fusion surgery of l45 s1 and decompression on sept 19. Recovery was awesome I have
Been walking between 2-4 miles a day. I am bending and I am very active the past couple of days I feel tightness in my lower back and a little pain when I try to stand up straight. I am very nervous is this normal to expect
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello-

It certainly can be normal to have a little back pain off and on while recovering from surgery.

However, you do want to be a bit careful, because your current symptoms could represent some inflammation in the lower back (which may or may not have to do with the L4-L5-S1 levels in the back), and the fact that you have some pain when you try to stand up straight (and feels OK when you lean forward?) could represent a potential nerve inflammation issue.

Keep an eye on things, continue your walking (which is good) and if your symptoms persist, be sure to contact your surgeon for further advice. If you feel that this is clearly worsening, with increased back pain with standing, or pain that begins to radiate down into the leg, they will want to order MRI imaging of the lumbar spine to look at this further.

Best of luck.

I did do a lot of bending and sitting on the flow a couple of days ago playing with my grandson and yesterday I was taking my walk and was walking at a much faster pace

OK.

Well, it may simply be that you have overworked the lumbar muscles which are still recovering from the surgery.

If that is the case, I would expect your discomfort to improve over the next week.

If it does not, or worsens, then one would want to consider further testing in the future.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Thank you