Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm worried I might have als. Not that i've noticed.

Customer Question
I'm worried I might...

I'm worried I might have als

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

Not that i've noticed. headaches sometimes

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

I haven't had headaches recently but i used to all the time. no nausea

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
3/27/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

Why do you feel you may have ALS?

How old are you?

When I scrunch my nose it twitches. When I ran for a long time before I had difficulty swallowing. I’m 28

OK.

Do you have any difficulty swallowing now?

Do you have any twitching when you are just resting?

I used to have ripple like spasms in my back but i was taking citalopram then so i’m wondering if that was just a side effect of the medication
Not now. Sometimes involuntarily my cheeks or eyes will twitch or spasm or around my mouth. My nose only twitches immediately when i try to scrunch it
I slur my words sometimes

OK.

Try not to worry about ALS.

You do not have ALS.

The number one reason -- you are way too young. It will not affect you at 28.

In addition, it is a progression of weakness, and the twitches -- fasciculations -- come and affect muscles at rest. People have "twitches" all the time for other reasons, and simple twitches are just a sign of nerve irritation.

But don't worry - you don't have ALS.

I’ve heard of people in their 20s being diagnosed with als
I just want to make sure. Maybe the earlier i can catch it the sooner i can do something about it..

Well, if you had progressive weakness -- then I would be worried.

Just twitches -- not worried.

And unfortunately, even if you knew you had ALS -- there isn't a medical therapy out there yet that can prevent or slow down the progression of the disease.

The twitches also do sometimes happen at rest. It’s embarrassing when people are having anconversation with me. Other parts of my face twitch at rest. My nose is the only one that twitches by me actually doing something to it
progressive weakness? What would be an example? I used to play sports in highschool and college but i haven’t been active lately so how do i know i’m not just getting out of shape?
could it be a vitamin deficiency? maybe in can try to take those vitamins and see if that will help

Initial symptoms are weakness in one arm, or one leg.

Usually it is weakness in one hand, or weakness in one foot.

Poor balance and trouble walking are also common symptoms.

Then comes atrophy and fasciculations.

You could try the vitamins, and you could discuss with your doctor to have bloodwork to check the electrolytes, which could be contributing to muscle irritability (potassium, calcium)

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

is there something that might cause slurred speech sometimes?

A dry mouth. You could be tired. Taking sedating medications.

It isn't because of actual muscle weakness from ALS (because that would cause slurred speech all the time, not just sometimes). It wouldn't be a stroke (again sometimes vs all the time).