Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a ganglion cyst drained a week ago and my hand does…

Customer Question
I had a ganglion cyst...
I had a ganglion cyst drained a week ago and my hand does not feel better.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
3/27/2018
Neurologist: Dr.Sawhney, Spine surgeon replied 4 months ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Spine surgeon
Thanks for your question.
I amCustomerand I would be happy to help today.
I need some more information.
Did you get the ganglion cyst removed surgically or did they just aspirate it?
What were your symptoms before the procedure and what are your symptoms now?
What is your age?
They just aspirated it. My symptoms were pain and discomfort of the area. The lump is gone but the discomfort remains. It still feel like something is in there.
Thanks for your reply.
Most of the times aspiration is not able to completely obviate the cyst.
Some amount of fluid still remains in the cyst.
If they have injected a steroid ( as is usual) it may take 1 to 2 weeks for inflammation in the cyst wall to subside and for the symptoms to improve.
You may apply ice to the area for 5 to 10 minutes at a time 4 to 5 times a day.
You may also take an anti-inflammatory like Advil to help decrease the inflammation and the cyst wall.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
I don’t think he injected a steroid because he didn’t say anything about that. I can’t put pressure on the area without strange sensations going through.
Was the ganglion located on the back of the wrist or the front of the wrist?
Oh I guess I left that detail out. Base of middle finger on the palm side of my left hand.
Thanks for the reply.
The digital nerve to finger is near the area of injection.It is possible that the digital nerve was somehow irritated at time of aspiration.
That may explain your symptoms of discomfort and abnormal sensations.
In most people these would improve within 3 weeks by themselves without any active intervention.
Can it cause some numbness and tingling?
Digital now carries the sensations from the finger to the brain. Any problem with the nerve can cause abnormal sensations including numbness and tingling.