Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

When I turn my head, I hear a pulsating wooshing sound in my…

Customer Question
When I turn my head...
When I turn my head , I hear a pulsating wooshing sound in my ear. Should I be concerned ? What could be the causes of this
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Neurologist: DoctorAnil, MD with 30 years of experience replied 4 months ago
DoctorAnil
DoctorAnil, MD with 30 years of experience

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Associated stuffy nose, clogged ears?

Dizziness?

Ringing in ears?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Any medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

I only get lightheadedness. I've been dealing with lightheadedness on and off for a year .I've been experiencing the pulsating wooshing sound for about 6 months . It's only of I turn my head a certain way or lie a certain way

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, it seems something like a dysfunctioning eustachian tube, since it happens only when you turn your head or lie in a certain way.

Still, you need to see an ENT specialist for a clinical examination.

Try sleeping with your head propped up in an elevated position.
Take OTC Decongestant or Antihistamine tablets
Try Valsalva maneuver
-Take a breath in. Then, try to breathe out gently with your mouth closed and pinching your nose. In this way, no air is blown out but you are gently pushing air into the Eustachian tube. If you do this you may feel your ears go 'pop' as air is forced into the middle ear. This sometimes eases the problem.

Monitor your blood pressure also.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.