Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I am trying to research the AminoFix injection into scar…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to research the AminoFix injection into scar tissue that maybe causing a nerve issue my podiatrist would like to try the injection to see if it will help with the scar tissue and relive the nerve pain. I had ankle surgery last year to fix a torn praneal(sp?) tendon. He ended up having to afix the tendon to the other one in the ankle (can't think of all the names at this time.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Almost since surgery, I got an infection at the top of the scar as soon as I became weight bearing about 6 weeks after surgery couldn't wear the boot because the infection was noweight bearing for another 4-5 weeks as soon as exercises started with range of motion i would have pain so we had to back off and go slow the more I use it even now there is pain and the more that I push from the toe area seems to cause more pain in the ankle area

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had physical therapy and they used a treatment called EPAT in the office it help some but there are two or three areas that seem to be the cause my little toe and the next one seem to be numb (tingling) all the time and the side of my foot up to the ankle area tingles and is touch senstive

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
3/25/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

Is the surgical scar on the lateral ankle (the outside)? Or on top of the ankle, or the inside?

Did the nerve pain start a few weeks after the surgery, or immediately (the day after) the surgery?

Have you had any specific tests done (MRI, nerve tests)?

lateral ankle, pain started when range of motion exercises started, shortly there after got infection at the top of the scar and now there is a small knot (for lack of better word) at the top of the scar where the infection was I am assuming it is scar tissue and that is where most of the pain is the pain shoots down the tendon towards my little toe with numbness and touch sensitivity all the time for numbness and sensitivity the pain is intermittent more When very active
Have had another mri after surgery and everything looked good inside from the surgery

OK.

The area of the incision does seem to match up with the area of pain you are having, and so there probably is pressure from the "knot" that is irritating the nerve in the foot in that specific area.

The tough part is that there is no real evidence that this injection (of amniotic cells) can help to reduce scar tissue that has already formed. It sounds as if the scar tissue that is already there is causing the problem, and the injection that can help to prevent scar tissue formation is probably too late.

Nevertheless, it is something (along with injections of steroids) that can be considered to see if it helps. If there was an obvious area of scar tissue, another option could be for revision of the surgical incision to remove scar tissue, though that is often very difficult because the nerves could theoretically also be further injured in such an operation.