Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Back in January I had a bad sinus infection which cleared up…

Hi there...back in January I...
Hi there...back in January I had a bad sinus infection which cleared up after a round of antibiotics, but my taste and smell were diminished. About 3 weeks after, I began to smell cigarette smoke..brief episodes at first...then longer lasting days. Now the smell of smoke comes as goes, but even when it’s not there, my smell and taste are altered, everything smells and tastes awful. I can recognize smells (although not as strong) and I can taste things, but not well.I’ve seen an ENT...no infections. And saw a neurologist and had a 20 min eeg which came back abnormal. I will be doing a 72 hour eeg next week...and an MRI.I’m terrified this is brain cancer. I have extreme anxiety over this...as I have a newborn at home.What kind of tumor would cause these symptoms? Any insight? I’m terrified.
3/24/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

bad anxiety symptoms can make you worried about small symptoms.

you can take some zinc supplements which can help your taste and smell come back

but you need to talk to your doctor about treatment for your anxiety symptoms

or else you will just continue to worry

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But with the abnormal eeg? Somethings definiteky wrong, yes? Smelling smells that aren’t there?

eeg are really only good to tell if you are having a seizure or not

what was wrong with your eeg?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not sure...my neurologist wasn’t available and the nurse just said “abnormal” and I have to do a 72 hour plus MRI. My main concern is a brain tumor since my altered smell and taste is continuous. (My anxiety was fine until today...I really thought it was sinuses.)I’m curious about the likelihood of this being a tumor.

I am a cancer doctor

I bet less than 1% chance you have a brain tumor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I had stage 4 thyroid cancer 3 years ago...and I know it’s the “good cancer” but it was frightening...so my brain now goes to worse case scenario. Thank you for your insight.

you are welcome

you can try the zinc

you will be fine with the brain MRI scan

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Dr. David, Board Certified MD