Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

For the past couple of years I have been experiencing some…

Customer Question
For the past couple...

For the past couple of years I have been experiencing some serious migraines and headaches accompanied with lightheadedness, imbalance at times, forgetting things just discussed causing me to repeat info, and so forth. I am just coming down from the flu and I am having a hard time focusing on my surroundings. My head feels like there's something going on inside my brain. My old doctor referred me to a neurologist 2 yrs ago, but I never could get an appt. Do you think this is something to be concerned with? I'm 34 yrs old

Doctor's Assistant: When did the flu begin? Have you used any medication for it?

Yes, I had the flu and a UTI so I am on tamiflu, phenazopyridine (finished that 2 days ago), and AMOX-CLAV 875MG

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides for this?

The day before I went to the doctor I used Dayquil a couple of times to bypass the symptoms while I was at work. Since I've been to the doctor and started these meds, the Dr gave me Tylenol at the office and I took some Aleve last night. Other than that, nothing else

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing i can think of. My head just feels really weird like I'm really trying to grasp my common balance when I move my head. It's like having an inner ear infection without the full on-set dizziness. I'm not dizzy, but something doesn't feel right.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Neurology
3/23/2018
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Hello -

Have you had any imaging of the brain? (MRI of the brain)?

No.

OK.

The first thing I would ask your primary care doctor for is a MRI of the brain.

This test is generally done for people who report serious headaches, migraine headaches, and whom have never had imaging of the brain in the past. While most of the time it will be normal, sometimes it will catch reasons for persistent headaches, such as with increased pressure from the cerebrospinal fluid (intracranial hypertension), issues such as Chiari malformation, and much more rare issues such as brain tumors, multiple sclerosis.

The neurologist would order this as well, so it would be helpful to get this test done prior to seeing the neurologist to save some time.

Once you have had that test performed, you can followup with the neurologist for other bloodwork and testing for the headaches.