Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I've been having some tension in my lower jaw and neck. It…

I've been having some tension...
I've been having some tension in my lower jaw and neck. It feels stiff and overall just uncomfortable. My jaw seems to lock when I open it wide. It's been occurring for a few weeks on an off. I'm looking to see what might cause this and why it might be occurring.
3/23/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

if you grind your teeth at night time or clench your jaw during the day, this can lead to inflammation of the TMJ jaw joint which can cause pain when you open wide

wearing a bite guard at night time can help take pressure off of your jaw at night time

doing yoga and trying to relax your jaw muscles can help during the day

How do I know if I grind my teeth at night?

your dentist and doctors can look at your teeth to look for excessive wear on your molars.

and your doctors can examine your TMJ jaw joint and see if you have pain and inflammation there which it seems like you do when you open your jaw wide, there is pain.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD