Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Something popped under my left knee yesterday. I have

Something popped under my...

Something popped under my left knee yesterday. I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet. I am having excruitiating pain one the heel of my foot and going up my leg. What can I do about it? The pain comes on every few seconds.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?

No redness or swelling. If ai set in the side of the bed and hang my foot down the pain eases up. If I walk it is not so bad.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He knows I have neuropathyand am diabetic type 2.

3/23/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, there are a few conditions which can cause these sort of symptoms. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have damaged one of the collateral or cruciate ligaments of the knee joint which can lead to this sort of severe pain. This would need to be diagnosed with the help of an MRI of the knee joint along with a clinical examination. Once diagnosed it may be treated with the help steroid injections, anti-inflammatory medications and in severe cases surgery. Another cause could be damage to the meniscii inside the knee joint which act like shock absorbers of the knee. Again the MRI would be diagnostic here.

Lastly, damage to the tendons of the muscles at the back of the knee joint can cause this sort of pain. It is possible that the tendon has developed a tear which would explain the popping noise and the pain which improves on hanging the knee. The MRI would be able to diagnose this problem as well and again the treatment would be essentially the same in most cases. However, PRP injections are extremely useful in this scenario.

Right now you should start using OTC anti-inflammatory medications at a dose of 600-800 mg thrice daily (ibuprofen) and if necessary add OTC Tylenol to the regimen, if the pain does not improve. Secondly, start applying OTC capsaicin gel on the area underneath the knee joint down to the heel. Start with hot compresses of the area which would also be useful and if you can apply a compression bandage on the area that should help relieve some pain. BUT you DO need evaluation and if the above measures don't help proceed to the ER or visit your doctor in the morning for a full clinical examination.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Thank you for your help. I went to my medical doctor yesterday. He did not feel anything out of place. He said almost what u said and to come back to see him if the pain does not go away or if it gets worse. He said he would send me to an orthopedic doctor. I've had something similar before and it gradually got better. It was better for a couple of days, then it popped worse than the time before. It has popped several times before behind the knee. I have osteoarthritis in both knees. I have had them x rayed.

Ok if you have osteoarthritis then the popping noise can be because of the arthritis. This occurs because of the bones grating on each other making a popping sound. But I think since this is occurring frequently then it should be evaluated with the help of an MRI and you should definitely see an orthopedic surgeon. But do use the ibuprofen and the Tylenol in order to control the pain for now.

Also, You're welcome, I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today, do remember to rate me by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
No thank you. I can go with what u told me to do. If it doesn't get better I will call my doctor I have no pain at all when sitting down or lying down still. The pain is better when I hang my foot off the bed. My heel on my foot is what has pain in it when I turn my foot a certain way.

That would be the way to go, , the pain worsening on turning the foot does indicate that this can be due to specific muscles in the back of the calf which may be damaged.

Also happy to help.